Although we are almost a month into spring, you would not know by looking at the thermometer. This past weekend showed us a glimpse of nicer days to come, but the gloom and snow flurries set in once again yesterday afternoon.
The gray skies left me wishing for rain instead of snow. I was dreaming about warmer weather and sunshine-filled skies. I found myself longing for summer and having a craving for fresh vegetables…a garden inspired meal.
Well, there is no garden planted yet as the snow is just bidding its farewell. A quick trip to the grocery store filled me with inspiration.
Tomato Basil Pasta
1/2 pound thin spaghetti
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/2 pound raw peeled shrimp
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups raw baby spinach
1. Start a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add pasta and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, basil and tomatoes. Cook while occasionally stirring for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add shrimp to the skillet and cook another 6 to 8 minutes, depending on size. Shrimp will be pink in color when cooked through. Some tomatoes may begin to burst and release their juice to create a sauce.
4. Once shrimp are cooked through, add cooked pasta along with 1 cup of the cooking water. Toss all ingredients together along with 2 handfuls of raw spinach. Mix well until spinach begins to wilt.
5. Garnish with additional basil and parmesan cheese to taste.